DescriptionWoodstock's land was purchased in 1686 by a company from Roxbury, Mass. The settlement became part of that state and was named for a town in Oxfordshire, England. Woodstock later was claimed by Connecticut under the Connecticut Charter; early residents included Rev. Jedidiah Morse, father of telegraph inventor Samuel F.B. Morse.
The town's first religious services were held in 1686; the minister preached from a boulder called “Pulpit Rock” to parishioners on the nearby hillside. The site is marked by a commemorative tablet.
Things to SeeRoseland Cottage (Henry C. Bowen House)