AAA Editor Notes
Fort Gaines Historic Site, 51 Bienville Blvd., was one of two fortifications guarding Mobile Bay during the Civil War. Directly opposite on Mobile Point, Fort Morgan guarded the eastern entrance to the bay. The two forts overlook the site of the Battle of Mobile Bay.
Fort Gaines, completed by the Confederacy in 1861, is a five-sided brick rampart with bastions. The site includes cannons, kitchens and blacksmith shops as well as a museum displaying Civil War artifacts.
Time: Allow 30 minutes minimum.