AAA Editor Notes
Gaineswood, at 805 S. Cedar Ave., is a historic mansion featuring original furnishings, domed ceilings and fluted columns. Built in 1821 as a dogtrot cabin, the house gradually grew to more than 6,200 square feet as Gaineswood became the center of a cotton plantation in the mid-1800s. Altered and modified in the century following the Civil War, the property has been restored to its 1860s appearance by the Alabama Historical Commission.
Time: Allow 45 minutes minimum.