AAA Editor Notes
Old Cahawba Archaeological Park is 6.8 mi. e. on SR 22, 3.4 mi. s. on CR 9, then 1.4 mi. e. to 9518 Cahaba Rd., at the confluence of the Cahaba and Alabama rivers. Once a thriving antebellum river town, the site (now a ghost town) served as the state capital 1820-26. The town was an important prison site during the Civil War, but all that remains today are a Gothic Revival church, a two-story brick slave house, two raised cottages, cemeteries and some ruins.
Streets and building sites are marked with interpretive signs.