AAA Editor Notes
Gorgas House is at 810 Capstone Dr. on the n.w. corner of the University of Alabama campus quadrangle. Built in 1829, the house was designed as a student dining hall. It is one of only four structures to have survived the burning of the university during the Civil War. In 1879 the house became the residence of Gen. Josiah B. Gorgas, Chief of Ordnance for the Confederacy and later president of the university.
Now open for self-guiding and guided tours, the house contains some of Gorgas' personal effects.
Guided tours are available.