Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site, 1200 W. Montgomery Rd. (SR 126), on the Tuskegee University campus, honors Booker T. Washington, the school's first president. Originally established to train African-American teachers, the institute gained prominence in the early 1900s thanks to agricultural innovations developed by George Washington Carver. A walking tour includes the Booker T. Washington Monument and the Tuskegee University Chapel.
In the early years many students at what was then called Tuskegee Normal and Industrial Institute earned part or all of their educational expenses by helping to erect the school's first buildings. The present-day campus consists of more than 160 buildings on 1,500 acres.
Note: Walking tour maps are available at the Carver Museum and the National Park Service Headquarters at 1212 W. Montgomery Rd.