Leitch Collieries Provincial Historic Site is 3 km (1.9 mi.) e. of Bellevue on Hwy. 3. Founded in 1907, this was the first wholly Canadian-owned mine. The area was the site of a sophisticated early colliery—a coal mine and the buildings and equipment connected with it. The remains of the power house, washery, mine manager's residence and coke ovens still stand.
Interpretive signs explain the mining and processing methods.