AAA Editor Notes
Lougheed House is at 707 13th Ave. S.W. Built in 1891 and enlarged in 1907, the sandstone mansion was the residence of Sir James Alexander Lougheed, a cabinet minister and party leader in the Senate, and his family. It later served as a barracks for the Canadian Women's Army Corps and as a blood donor clinic and dormitory for the Canadian Red Cross Society; today it houses interpretive exhibits detailing the structure’s history and architecture.
The lovely 1.1-hectare (2.8-acre) estate includes the formal Beaulieu Gardens. Redesigned every year, the green space dazzles onlookers with such flora as yellow cannas and marigolds, red dahlias, and white and pink peonies. Guided tours by historical interpreters as well as self-guiding audio tours are available.
Guided tours are available. Food is available.