AAA Editor Notes
Wallblake House is on Carter Rey Blvd. next to St. Gerard's Catholic Church. Thought to have been built by sugar planter William Blake in the 1780s, this is the oldest house on the island and one of the last survivors of 18th-century plantation life. The mansion was set ablaze by French soldiers during the 1796 invasion, but the stone walls withstood the fire. Later used as a Catholic rectory, the plantation complex was restored in 2004. It is one of few in the Caribbean to retain all of its original outbuildings, including a bakery, a stone cistern, stables and workers' quarters.