Nelson's Dockyard National Park extends inland from a line along the southern coastline from Mamora Bay to Carlisle Bay. Built 1743-94, the site is reputed to be the only existing Georgian dockyard. It was used by a number of British admirals, including Horatio Nelson, as the home port of the British Fleet during the Napoleonic Wars. The dockyard also was used as a repair and maintenance station for ships. Several buildings have been restored. Fort Berkeley, the original British garrison, was built in 1704 and manned by more than 3,000 troops. Also noteworthy is the dockyard's marketplace.
The park, which covers 15 square miles (39 sq km) of rolling hills, affords memorable views of the dockyard and surrounding countryside.