AAA Editor Notes
Betty's Hope Plantation is in the rural limestone district. Once the largest sugar plantation on Antigua, the site served as the seat of government 1689-1704. Sir Christopher Codrington assumed ownership in 1674, naming the plantation for his daughter. The estate remained in the Codrington family for nearly 300 years. Most of the buildings lie in ruin, but one of the windmill towers has been restored. Museum exhibits illustrate the history of sugar in the West Indies, and interpretive markers describe the site.