AAA Editor Notes
Sharlot Hall Museum, downtown at 415 W. Gurley St., contains 4 acres of exhibits, historic buildings and gardens. The highlight is the Territorial Governor's Mansion, which was the home and center of government for Arizona’s first territorial officials. It was later restored by poet and historian Sharlot M. Hall. Hall filled the mansion with Native American and pioneer artifacts and opened it as a museum in 1928.
Additional historic buildings and several exhibits trace the area's heritage including Fort Misery, the oldest surviving log cabin in Arizona (1864), which was used as a store, boarding house and residence; a replica of the first school house in Prescott which began operation in 1867; the John C. Frémont and the William Bashford houses both classic Victorian-style homes built in the 1870s; the Lawler Exhibit Center featuring exhibits tracing Arizona history from prehistoric beasts to the Clovis native people through territorial days to U.S. statehood; the Sharlot Hall Building, built in 1936 as a CWA project, and housing many of the museum's historical exhibits and dioramas; and the library and archives for historical and academic research.