Alto Vista Chapel is e. of Noord on a paved road to the coast. Arawak Indians and Spanish missionaries built the first Catholic church on this site in 1750. A priest came to the island several times a year to perform masses, baptisms and marriages. The tiny yellow chapel that stands at the edge of a cliff above the sea was built in 1952 and features a hand-carved altar. Stations of the cross mark the road leading to the chapel, often called the Pilgrim's Church, a peaceful spot for contemplation.