AAA Editor Notes
Our Lady of La Paz (Nuestra Señora de la Paz) is on the s.e. side of Plaza Constitución. The church, originally a Jesuit mission, has lovely stained glass. The present building dates from 1861; a second tower was added in the early 20th century. Large bilingual plaques relate the church's history as well as La Paz's beginnings.
Plaza Constitución is a traditional main square, with tiled, tree-shaded paths and a gazebo. It's a peaceful spot to relax while city life goes by, or to gather with the locals and listen to a band concert. On the plaza's northwest side is the old state capitol building, which houses the Historical Library of the Californias (Biblioteca de Historia de las Californias). In addition to historical documents, the library has some striking paintings depicting Baja California Sur's early days.