AAA Editor Notes
Garrison Historic Area is 2.5 mi. (4 km) s.e. on Bay St. at the outskirts of Bridgetown. This military site began with construction of Charles Fort by the Barbados Militia in 1650. British troops were garrisoned here 1780-1905. The West India Regiment was the first British unit of black soldiers; their distinctive Zouave uniforms are still worn by the Barbados Defence Force Band.
The community surrounding the Garrison Savannah racetrack features some 70 buildings of historical and architectural interest, including the 1705 St. Ann's Fort and the 1804 Main Guard House with its prominent clock tower.