George Washington House and Museum is 2.5 mi. (4 km) s.e. on Bay St. at the outskirts of Bridgetown. For two months in 1751 George Washington and his ailing brother lived in the house, which has been restored with period furnishings. A tunnel system, reportedly built in the 1820s, runs underneath the structure. The tunnels were originally used for drainage and later used as escape routes for Garrison troops in the event of invasion. The National Cannon Collection displays several dozen of the more than 400 iron guns that have been excavated on the island, including an Elizabethan cannon forged in 1600.