AAA Editor Notes
St. James' Parish Church is on Hwy. 1. Most of the present church was built in 1874. Hurricanes destroyed the first wooden structure, erected in 1628, and its stone replacement. The original church bell is inscribed “God Bless King William 1696.” Other relics include hand-beaten silver pieces that date from the late 17th century and the original baptismal font with its mahogany cover. A graveyard where many of Barbados' early settlers are interred adjoins the church.
Guided tours are available.