AAA Editor Notes
St. Nicholas Abbey is 5.5 mi. (9 km) n.e. via Hwy. 1 following signs. Built about 1658 for a sugar planter, the Jacobean mansion had as its second resident Sir John Yeamans, commissioned by King Charles II as lieutenant general and governor of South Carolina. This functioning sugar plantation, which never actually served as an abbey, has well manicured grounds and gardens. Visitors tour the ground floor, which is decorated with antique English and Barbadian furniture. An 1890 steam mill grinds sugar cane bi-weekly December through June for the on-site distillery; sugar and rum products can be sampled. An 18-minute home movie filmed in 1935 depicts the sugar-making process and other island scenes.
Guided tours are available. Food is available.