Fort St. Catherine is at 15 Coot Pond Rd. Development of the fort began virtually from the moment Sir George Somers and the original settlers washed ashore at adjacent Gates Bay in 1609. The fort would be remodeled several times over the following centuries, growing in both size and armament. Today it stands virtually as it did in the late 19th century, with massive 18-ton rifled muzzle loader guns. Exhibits explain the life and times of the Victorian-era soldiers who stood vigil against any attack from the sea.