AAA Editor Notes
Fort St. James National Historic Site is 2 blks. w. of Hwy. 27 at 280 Kwah Rd. W. Established on the southern shore of Stuart Lake by the North West Co. in 1806, Fort St. James contains one of the largest groups of original in situ wooden buildings representing Canada's fur trade. A massive fur warehouse is a noted example of Red River framing. The fully restored Hudson's Bay Co. post on the site served as a hub of commerce between fur traders and the indigenous peoples—and as the capital of New Caledonia, now central British Columbia.
The visitor center provides interactive displays, artifacts and an audiovisual presentation. Changing exhibits are offered seasonally. Interpreters in period costume provide living-history demonstrations throughout the day. The site is home to chickens, horses, an ox, ducks, turkeys, goats and rabbits.
Food is available.