AAA Editor Notes
Rock Candy Mountain Safari departs from the Chamber of Commerce between 5th and 6th sts. at 524 Central Ave. Participants then travel in their own vehicle for 35 kilometres (22 mi.) to Brown Creek Hall where they are joined at 10 a.m. by their guide for an orientation. From there, participants travel to the mine in their own car. A 1-kilometre (.6 mi.) hike ends with a steep 150-metre (492 ft.) climb to the site where chisels and safety glasses are provided.
The abandoned turn-of-the-20th-century site where fluorite was mined 1916-29 offers hands-on discovery. Colorful fluorite, barite and quartz crystals have been left behind by earlier miners, and although there is no entry into the mine for tours, a location outside it allows participants an opportunity to chisel and take some rocks and crystals home. A guide presents an overview of geology and history of the area and mine.
Note: Bring a backpack to carry food, water and any rocks or crystals you may find. Closed-toe shoes are recommended. Full mobility is required.
Guided tours are available. Pets on leash are allowed. Time: Allow 5 hours minimum.