North Pacific Cannery National Historic Site is 10 km (6 mi.) s. of Hwy. 16 at 1889 Skeena Dr. For almost 100 years (1889-1980) this cannery, one of more than 200 such businesses operating along the West Coast at the industry's peak, processed and canned salmon from the Skeena River.
The site consists of 29 buildings and structures representing the factory operations and employee living quarters of a multiethnic workforce in one of the formative industries of British Columbia. The village includes the main cannery, reduction plant, staff housing and mess house. Artifacts of the fishing industry, such as boats, tools and machinery original to the shops as well as some of the workers’ personal items are displayed throughout the complex. Guided tours feature a working canning line, stories of cannery life, and a walk along the riverfront boardwalk.