AAA Editor Notes
Mission San Carlos Borroméo del Río Carmelo, at 3080 Rio Rd., is called Carmel Mission. Established by Father Junípero Serra at Monterey in 1770 and moved to its present site the following year, the mission was Father Serra's residence and headquarters until his death in 1784. He is buried beneath the church floor in front of the altar.
Relics of the mission's early days and some of Father Serra's books and documents are displayed. The courtyard gardens and Moorish bell tower are of interest, and a museum contains exhibits about the mission. A fiesta usually is held the last Sunday in September.
Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.