Del Norte County Historical Society Museum, 577 H St. at jct. 6th St., is in the building built in 1926 and used until 1963 as the County Hall of Records and the county jail. It features a fine collection of Tolowa and Yurok baskets, musical instruments, logging and mining tools and equipment as well as vintage clothing and furniture. The second floor has some of the jail's original cells, which now house exhibits.
An annex contains the first order Fresnel lens from the St. George Reef Lighthouse and artifacts from an 1856 shipwreck and the 1964 tsunami that destroyed much of the city.