AAA Editor Notes
Fort Humboldt State Historic Park is off US 101 via Highland Ave. to 3431 Fort Ave. This site on a bluff preserves what remains of Fort Humboldt, established in 1853. Ulysses S. Grant was stationed at the fort for 2 years. Of the original 14 structures, only the clapboard hospital remains. A museum inside has exhibits about the fort's history and North Coast Indian culture. An adjacent museum displays the massive equipment required to move redwood logs, including locomotives and large winches called steam donkeys.
Time: Allow 30 minutes minimum.