Mission San Jose Chapel and Museum, 43300 Mission Blvd., was founded in 1797 by Father Fermín Francisco de Lasuén. The original adobe structure was destroyed by an 1868 earthquake. The interior of the reconstructed church, based on church inventories from the 1830s, is unusually elegant, containing crystal chandeliers, murals, religious paintings and a gold leaf altar. Several statues, the baptismal font and the mission bells remain from the original structure.
The mission contains a small museum, which displays old paintings, photographs, mission period artifacts and exhibits about the Ohlone Indians and the mission restoration.