AAA Editor Notes
La Purísima Mission State Historic Park is at 2295 Purísima Rd. The first mission, founded in 1787, was destroyed by an earthquake in 1812. Chumash Indians, directed by Franciscan priests, rebuilt the mission 1813-22 a few miles from the first site. One of the most complete mission restorations, the park includes 10 buildings and a water system consisting of a historic aqueduct.
Rooms are furnished as they would have been in the 1820s. A visitor center features exhibits detailing the mission's history. The grounds comprise more than 1,900 acres and have 25 miles of hiking and riding trails.
Guided tours are available. Picnicking is permitted.