AAA Editor Notes
Custom House, on Custom House Plaza at Fisherman's Wharf, is within Monterey State Historic Park. This is the oldest standing government building in California; its north section was constructed around 1827. When Commodore John Drake Sloat raised the American flag over the building in 1846, approximately 600,000 square miles became part of the United States. Inside are displays of replica trade goods from the 1840s.
A cactus garden is on the grounds, which also offer scenic views of Monterey Harbor.