AAA Editor Notes
First Brick House is within Monterey State Historic Park, adjacent to the Old Whaling Station. The structure, built by settler Gallant Dickenson in 1847, marks one of the first uses in California of fired clay bricks for building purposes; the new material was stronger, more durable and more water-repellent than traditional sun-dried mud bricks. Dickenson left for the Sierra foothills in search gold rush riches before finishing his home. Inside are displays about Monterey history.
Note: At press time the house was closed for renovation; phone for updates.