San Carlos Cathedral, at 500 Church St., also is known as Royal Presidio Chapel. Founded in 1770 to be the mission church of the port, San Carlos Cathedral became the church for the Spanish colonists and soldiers instead, as the mission was moved to Carmel the following year. The present church has been in continuous use since 1795. A museum has historical and church-related items.
Cathedral open Mon.-Sat. 7-4, Sun. 7 until after the last mass. Museum open Wed. 10-noon, Fri. 10-3, Sat. 10-2, Sun. 1-3 (also second and fourth Mon. of the month 10-noon and 1:15-3:15). Phone ahead to confirm schedule.