Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park is at 800 N St. Built in 1856 and recently restored, the house served three governors during the 1860s. As a pro-Union Civil War governor and president of the Central Pacific Railroad, Leland Stanford negotiated deals to help complete the transcontinental railroad.
Stanford had the mansard-roofed mansion expanded in 1872. He died in 1893, and the house was used as an orphanage and a home for girls from the turn of the 20th century until 1986. It now serves a dual purpose: as a museum recalling an elegant 19th-century past and as a site for state meetings and receptions.
Guided tours are given daily on the hour 10-4. Tour times may be limited when the legislature is in session; phone ahead to confirm schedule. Closed Jan. 1, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Allow 1 hour minimum.