Mission San Juan Bautista is at 2nd and Mariposa sts. Founded June 24, 1797, the mission was named for St. John the Baptist. With a three-aisle entrance to the altar, it was the widest of the mission churches. In recognition of its importance, a set of nine bells once graced the chapel area; only three remain. The mission has period furnishings, and the convent wing contains relics.
Original artifacts include altar statues, wall decorations and a baptismal font as well as an 1816 altar screen. It is still an active Catholic church.