El Presidio de Santa Barbara State Historic Park is at 123 E. Canon Perdido St. Founded April 21, 1782, the Santa Barbara Royal Presidio was the last in a chain of four military fortresses built by the Spanish along the coast of Alta California. Now a state park, El Presidio is the only reconstructed presidio in California. It serves as a living history site and offers a range of programs interpreting the Spanish, Mexican and Native American heritage of Santa Barbara.
Historic buildings within the park include the 1788 El Cuartel, the second-oldest surviving structure in California; the restored Cañedo Adobe; the reconstructed Padre’s Quarters; Chapel; Commandante’s office; Cocina, or kitchen; and the Northeast Corner, which includes the foundations of a two-story observation tower. A video is shown as part of the tour.