AAA Editor Notes
San Buenaventura Mission is at 211 E. Main St.; entrance is through a gift shop just east of the mission at 225 E. Main St. Founded in 1782 and completed in 1809, the present mission includes a restored church, a small museum and Holy Cross School (not open to visitors). The restored church is still used by an active congregation.
The museum contains Chumash Indian artifacts as well as vestments, sacred vessels, books and other items from the early days of the mission. Two 30-minute videos detail the history of St. Junípero Serra and the mission. Constructed in a rectangular design, the mission opens into gardens and a grotto area.