Temple and Ex-Convent Of Santo Domingo is about 5 blks. n. of the main plaza, entered from Av. 20 de Noviembre. Construction of the church was begun in 1547; the extravagantly detailed carvings of saints, angels and decorative accents on its baroque exterior have weathered to a dusty pink. Note the double-headed Hapsburg eagle over the doorway, a symbol of the Spanish monarchy added in the 17th century. The interior features a lavishly ornate pulpit, a gilded altarpiece and gilt-framed retablos (religious paintings).
The adjacent convent houses Sna Jolobil, a handicraft showroom selling wool capes, clothing, woven goods and other Indian-made items.