Chihuahua House Museum (Museo Casa Chihuahua) is several blks. n.e. of Plaza de Armas via pedestrian-only Calle Libertad, at Av. Juárez and Vicente Guerrero. This neoclassic building dates from 1910 and served as the Palacio Federal, a federal building housing Chihuahua's main post office, until 2004. It was subsequently renovated and reopened in 2006 as a cultural center and museum presenting primarily traveling exhibits.
In the basement is Hidalgo's Dungeon, which preserves the cell in which Father Miguel Hidalgo was held prisoner by the Spanish while awaiting execution. The freedom fighter's crucifix, pistol and other personal belongings are displayed, along with a plaque inscribed with a message Hidalgo dedicated to his captors for their humane treatment.