AAA Editor Notes
Church of San Francisco (Iglesia de San Francisco) is n.e. of Plaza de Armas on Calle Libertad (at Calle 15). Begun by Franciscan missionaries and dedicated to St. Joseph, it was consecrated in 1721. Architecturally similar to Franciscan missions in northern Mexico, the church's exterior is relatively plain. The interior has a roomy cross-shaped nave, beamed roofing, 18th-century altarpieces and a majestic cupola. Bricklayer Nicolás Muñoz built the bell tower in 1740.