Government Palace (Palacio de Gobierno) is a block s. of the Chihuahua House Museum, on the n. side of Plaza Hidalgo at Calle Aldama and Calle Venustiano Carranza. The Chihuahua state capitol was built 1881-92; a third floor was added during reconstruction after a 1941 fire destroyed a large part of the building. Inside are enormous archways, a large central patio and first-floor walls covered with noteworthy murals depicting the state's history. A beautiful stained-glass window above the main staircase illustrates themes of law and justice.
It was here that Father Miguel Hidalgo was executed by firing squad in 1811 during the War of Independence. The Nation's Altar (Altar de la Patria) on the ground floor marks the exact spot where he died. The Hidalgo Museum has a re-creation of the church facade in Dolores Hidalgo from which the priest turned freedom fighter issued his call for independence, while the Gallery of Arms displays an impressive array of weapons. Both museums incorporate state-of-the-art interactive media displays.