Ex-Convent and Temple of Regina Coeli (Ex-Convento y Templo de Regina Coeli) is about 5 blks. s.w. of the Zócalo at calles Regina and Bolívar (M: Isabel la Católica, line 1); street parking is very limited. Construction began in 1655, although it was not consecrated until 1731. Once the Convent of the Nuns of the Conception in Mexico, it received its present name in 1756.
The sumptuous Medina-Picasso Chapel, built in 1733, encompasses an entire block and is considered a masterpiece of Churrigueresque architecture. It contains three altarpieces with works by Villalpando Rodríguez Juárez and other 18th-century painters. A striking niche in the main altar is adorned with tortoiseshell and mother-of-pearl.