AAA Editor Notes
Central City Opera House, w. of jct. Lawrence and Main sts. on Eureka St., was built in 1878 by the Welsh and Cornish as a reminder of the musical heritage of their homeland. The elaborate 550-seat opera house fell into disrepair when area mines closed shortly thereafter. Volunteers fortunately came to the rescue, and in 1932 the opera house was restored to its original Victorian splendor. Traditional operas have been presented in the grand theater each summer since its reopening. Tours feature the opera house and the adjoining 1872 Teller House hotel.
Tours are arranged at the Gilpin History tour office at Washington Hall across from the opera house.
Guided tours are available.