AAA Editor Notes
Fort Garland Museum is at the s. edge of town at 29477 SR 159. The fort was established in 1858 and served as a supply point, a deterrent to hostilities and to facilitate westward expansion. Col. Kit Carson held his last command at the post 1866-67. Abandoned in 1883, the restored fort contains exhibits about the infantry and cavalry barracks, the Buffalo Soldiers and the restoration of the fort. Historic dioramas, military memorabilia and folk art from the San Luis Valley also are on display.
Time: Allow 30 minutes minimum.