Hill-Stead Museum

35 Mountain Rd.
Farmington, CT 06032- Map It
(860) 677-4787

AAA Editor Notes

Hill-Stead Museum is at 35 Mountain Rd., .2 mi. from the center of town by way of Farmington Ave. and Main St. The collection includes etchings and paintings by Impressionists Mary Cassatt, Edgar Degas, Edouard Manet, Claude Monet and James McNeill Whistler. Chinese porcelains of the Sung, Ming and Ching dynasties also are featured as well as other art objects. Set on 152 acres, which include a sunken garden designed by Beatrix Farrand, the 36-room Colonial Revival house was designed and built in 1901 by Theodate Pope, one of the first female architects in the country. Pope built the home as a retirement spot for her father, iron industrialist Alfred Atmore Pope, and her mother Ada Brooks Pope. Guided tours are available.
$15; $12 (ages 63+ and students with ID); $8 (ages 6-12).
Hours: Grounds open daily 7:30-5:30. One-hour guided tours are given every half-hour Tues.-Sun. 10-4. Last tour departs 1 hour before closing. Closed Jan. 1, Easter, July 4, Thanksgiving and Christmas.