Ancient Burying Ground is at 60 Gold St. The city's oldest cemetery forms a green oasis in the middle of downtown. Buried here are the city's early founders, including Rev. Thomas Hooker, Rev. Samuel Stone and several colonial governors; the oldest gravestone dates from 1648. The cemetery is on the north and west sides of the 1807 Center Church, 675 Main St., which traces its history to a meetinghouse established in 1636. Refurbished and expanded in 1848, the church now has six Tiffany windows.
Self-guiding brochures are available at both the Main Street and Gold Street gates.