Bushnell Park adjoins the capitol grounds on the n. end at Trinity and Elm sts. One of the oldest public parks in the country, Bushnell Park contains the Civil War-era Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Arch, dedicated to the 4,000 Hartford men who served in the Civil War, and the Spanish American War Memorial. The 1947 Pump House Gallery presents art exhibits; the Performance Pavilion offers summer jazz concerts. The 37-acre park also features a working Stein and Goldstein 1914 carousel located in an enclosed, heated pavilion with 48 hand-carved wooden horses, two chariots and a 1925 Wurlitzer band organ.
Also on the premises are several statues and the 30-foot-tall marble and stone Corning Fountain. Free brochures for a self-guiding “tree walk” are available at the Greater Hartford Welcome Center at 100 Pearl St.