AAA Editor Notes
New Canaan Historical Society is 2.5 mi. n. of Merritt Pkwy. exit 37 (at SR 124) to 13 Oenoke Ridge Rd. The society comprises six buildings turned museums, collections of historical objects and artifacts, and a library.
Facilities include the 1764 Hanford-Silliman House Museum; the 1878 John Rogers Studio and Museum; the re-created, 19th-century Tool Museum and Print Shop, housing the New Canaan Hand Press; the 1799 Rock School; the 1868 Little Red Schoolhouse (Carter Street School); and the 1845 Cody Drug Store. Within the 1825 Town House is the Costume Museum, the Silvermine Room with changing exhibits by the Silvermine Group of Artists known as the Knockers and a research and genealogical library. The 1960 Gores Pavilion in Irwin Park features mid-century modern architectural exhibits.
Guided tours are available.