First Church of Christ is at 311 Temple St. The building is the fourth meeting place on the general site of The Green. Its first services were held outdoors in 1638. The spire, Tiffany window and wall tablets are of interest. The church covers part of the old burial ground including 1,500 to 1,700 historic gravestones, the oldest dating from 1687. The crypt beneath the church contains 137 gravestones, including that of Rev. James Pierpont, a founder of Yale College.