Fort Amsterdam is off Breedestraat in Punda, adjoining the waterfront. Built in 1769 to protect the island from invaders, the fort was once the living quarters of the directors of the West Indian Co. It now contains the official palace of the governor of the Netherlands Antilles, the Ministry and government offices.
The Fort Church Museum preserves the island's oldest Protestant church, completed in 1769. Lodged in the southwest wall is a cannonball fired by the British in 1804. A collection of artifacts from the Dutch Protestant congregation includes antique silver chalices, a mahogany and silver baptismal font, the original governor's bench and historic maps of the island.