Anderson House—The American Revolution Institute of the Society of the Cincinnati is at 2118 Massachusetts Ave. N.W. This historic house museum is the headquarters of The Society of the Cincinnati, founded by the officers of the Continental Army in 1783 as a way to facilitate ongoing fellowship among army officers and to raise charitable funds to assist the families of original members. George Washington was the society's first president general, and his name, stature and advocacy of its interests helped establish the organization during its formative years.
Anderson House, the society's headquarters, is a turn-of-the-20th-century mansion that was once the winter home of American diplomat Larz Anderson and his wife. Based on the design of a Florentine villa, it is graced with marble floors, carved wood walls, gilded papier-mâché ceilings and other finely crafted interior features.
The museum collections focus on such Gilded Age art objects as European furniture, tapestries and paintings and Asian art, including ivory carvings, metalwork, ceramics, decorative screens and lacquer ware. Of note is the collection of Society Eagle insignias and portraits of such former presidents general as Washington and Alexander Hamilton. Temporary exhibitions also are presented.
Note: There is no on-site parking, and street parking in the vicinity is limited; taking public transportation is recommended. There are hotel garages with visitor parking within several blocks of Anderson House.
Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.
Hours: Museum open Tues.-Sat. 10-4, Sun. noon-4. Guided tours are given 15 minutes past each hour. Phone ahead to confirm schedule. Library open by appointment Mon.-Fri. 10-4. Closed most federal holidays and during society meetings or events.