AAA Editor Notes
Ex-Convent of Churubusco is on Calle 20 de Agosto (M: General Anaya, line 2), about a 5-minute walk from the Metro station. It was built in 1678 over the ruins of an ancient Aztec temple. This former Franciscan convent, which includes the Church of St. Matthew, served as a fortress against invading U.S. forces in August 1847. On the walls of the staircase leading to the second floor are huge oil paintings, two of which depict scenes from the life of St. Francis of Assisi.
There are lovely gardens on the grounds of the restored structure. Some of the dormitories remain intact; these small rooms, furnished with a desk and illuminated by light from a single window, underscore the frugal lifestyle the friars followed.