AAA Editor Notes
Church of San Francisco (Iglesia de San Francisco) is on Av. Madero, 2 blks. e. of Alameda Park and almost directly across from Sanborns (M: Bellas Artes, lines 2 and 8). Construction of the original church and monastery complex began in 1524 with money granted by Hernando Cortés. This was the headquarters of the Franciscan Order and long a center of Catholicism. Following Mexico's War of Independence the monastery was disbanded and much of the church's property was seized by the government.
The church standing today dates from the early 18th century and was the third to be built at the site. It has an elaborately Churrigueresque facade, and the interior is equally beautiful, with a main altar resplendent in gilded gold decoration.